Skip to content

Cities Receive More ARPA Funding

Image: Avsankur via Wikimedia Commons.

Harrodsburg Gets $1.1 Million While Burgin Gets $132,000

Robert Moore
Herald Staff

More than $162 million has been made available for more than 360 cities in Kentucky from the second round of American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funding, with Harrodsburg set to receive more than a million dollars.

The cities received their first tranche of funding last year, according to the a state press release.

The money is designated to help cities offset expenses related to COVID-19, including the costs of personal protective equipment, vaccination clinics, loss of revenue, payroll and more.

A total of $162,101,603 will be distributed by the state to the cities, with allocations based on population. Burgin is set to receive $132,549.51 in ARP Recovery Funds while Harrodsburg is set to receive $1,140,166.31. Nearby Danville is set to receive $2,240,647.93 in ARP Recovery Funds while Junction City is set to receive $308,124.16. Lancaster in Garrard County is set to receive $516,702.58 in ARP Recovery Funds while Lawrenceburg in Anderson County is set to $1,537,814.84.

Burgin Mayor Jim Caldwell said the first round of funding had been “hugely beneficial” to Burgin.

“With the assistance of my city clerk, Angela Stewart, and the guidance of the city council, we were able to spend it in ways that benefitted the city,” Caldwell said. “This was why I was so adamant that we get our financial affairs in order when I took office. I look forward to the improvements we will make with the new funding and I am proud of my record on obtaining federal and state funding.”

The Coronavirus Local Fiscal Recovery Fund is providing $19.53 billion to support tens of thousands of non-entitlement cities, which serve populations under 50,000. In Kentucky, non-entitlement cities were required to submit budget certification forms to the state Department for Local Government.

For more information on ARPA funding for non-entitlement cities and a full list of eligible expenses, visit the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s website.

For more great stories, check out this week’s issue of the Harrodsburg Herald. Click here to subscribe.

Leave a Comment