Mercer’s Ready To Blast Off! Local Independence Day Celebrations
Your Guide To Local July 4 Celebrations
Mercer County is lighting the fuse. If the low evening rumble of firecrackers hadn’t been warning enough, the Fourth Of July is almost upon us, and county residents are looking to turn the holiday into a week long explosion of fun.
The biggest Independence Day celebration in Mercer County returns when the 2022 Lights Over Herrington happens Saturday, July 2, with the fireworks show scheduled to start at dusk.
The fireworks extravaganza, which draws scores of visitors to Herrington Lake near the Kennedy Bridge each year, was canceled in 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Organizers say the event is receiving sponsorships from Pepsi as well as the local marinas including Chimney Rock, Kamp Kennedy and Pandora Marina. Sponsorships and donations are also being accepted at the website, lightsoverherrington.com.
Sponsorships are $500 while donations over $25 will be entered into a drawing for a $50 gift certificate for Camp Kennedy. Anyone who wishes to make a larger sponsorship or donation can call Katie or Derek Gibson at Kamp Kennedy Marina at 859-548-2002.
That’s not the only Independence Day celebration. There will also be a fireworks show at Anderson-Dean Community Park (501 Louisville Road) on Sunday, July 3, at dusk, with food trucks and games.
Here’s a rundown of some of the other celebrations.
- Harrodsburg Health and Rehabilitation Center (853 Lexington Road) will hold their annual fireworks show on Thursday, June 30, from 6-10 p.m. In addition to fireworks, there will also be concessions and music.
- Casa Grande Mexican Restaurant (145 Collin Drive) will have live entertainment from LBP Country Music and fireworks on Saturday, July 2. The music starts at 7 p.m. while the fireworks start after dark.
- Lights Over Herrington 2022 returns Saturday, July 2, by the Kennedy Bridge, with the big show scheduled to start at dusk.
- The annual fireworks show at Anderson-Dean Community Park (1501 Louisville Road) happens Sunday, July 3, at dusk. Triple J&C BBQ Team will be serving up a special menu to raise funds for Mercer County Habitat For Humanity.
- And for those of you who are still not tired of fireworks, Danville will hold their fireworks show on Independence Day, Monday, July 4 at Millennium Park (Cunningham Drive, Danville) starting at dusk.