Skip to content

Titans roll to fifth straight win

Mercer County junior Grayson Blevins, right, went in for a tackle on George Rogers Clark’s Owen Irvin Friday night. Blevins leads Mercer with 138 tackles this season.

Mercer County senior Chase Moore, left, broke away from an attempted tackle by George Rogers Clark junior Ronte Owens, right, Friday night during the Titans 31-3 win.

Daarik Gray

Herald Staff

The Mercer County football team scored 31 straight points over the final three quarters to roll over the visiting George Rogers Clark Cardinals 31-3 Friday night. 

Mercer County trailed 3-0 after one quarter of play, before completely dominating their competition over the final three periods.

George Rogers Clark got the only points in the opening quarter as they drove 64 yards to the Mercer County 16-yard line, before being forced to kick a field-goal, which put them in front 3-0 with 4:23 left.

From that point on, the Mercer County defense held strong, allowing only 85 yards the remaining 40 minutes.

Things started looking up for the Titans early in the second quarter as junior Austin Logdon recovered a fumble at the George Rogers Clark 31-yard line with 10:33 remaining in the quarter.

Eight plays later, the Titans were on the board as junior Donald ‘D’ Smith ran it in from 2-yards out. Brandon Ballard’s extra-point gave Mercer County a 7-3 lead with 6:17 left in the first half.

“Drew (Davis) was calling the holes real well. He was reading the defense and the line was executing like they always do,” said Smith, who finished the game with 71 yards on 12 carries.

The Cardinals drove down to the Titans’ 31-yard line before two straight fumbles forced by Mercer County senior Malik Dow thrwarted their progress.

“I really like how our defense swarmed to the ball,” said Head Coach David Buchanan following the game.

After leading only 7-3 at halftime, the Titans came out determined to get an early score. That is exaclty what they did.

George Rogers Clark was forced to punt on their first posession of the second half, but their attempt was blocked by Dustin Baker and recovered by Logdon, who returned it to the Cardinals 20-yard line.

One play later, Smith ran it in from 20-yards for his second touchdown of the game, which put the Titans ahead 14-3.

Pick up a copy of this weeks Harrodsburg Herald or subscribe to our online edition for the rest of the story.

Leave a Comment